Waterman 23 – Super Flex (On Ebay)
This is a rare and difficult to come by Waterman. The latest patent date is 1884, and the pen likely predates the 1900s. The taper caps were meant to mimic the feel of a dip pen when posted, and they definitely give it that flavor. This pen is in great condition for it’s age. The cap has faded some to a grayish, brownish blackish color. But the body is still fairly black just a bit duller than original. The chasing is very good and imprints are still crisp. The repousse bands are also in nice condition with no brassing. The 23 comes with a 14kt. early Waterman #3 nib. It is very, very fine. Normally it writes as a XXF (0.2mm) but flexes up to BB (1.4mm). The flex on this nib isn’t huge, but it is perfect for hairlines. And it is so responsive that you can do much more quality flex work than with most nibs that flex larger. Responsivness and fineness trump big flex in my book, and this has them both. Great, quite rare vintage pen.
SIZE: 5 7/8″ Capped
NIB: Waterman #2, XXF to BB (0.3mm-1.4mm), SUPER FLEX (See “Grading Flex Nibs” for How I Grade)
- Pen (barrel, section, nib, feed, & cap) thoroughly cleaned & flushed
- Nib polished and tuned to write smoothly
- Clip cleaned and polished
- Inside of barrel thoroughly cleaned.
- Nib and feed ultrasonically cleaned and adjusted for optimal flow
- Test driven for a week to insure quality